- This event has passed.
Discrete Mathematics Workshop for High School Mathematics Teachers
July 18 @ 8:00 am - July 20 @ 5:00 pm$150
In this workshop, we will engage in activities you can use in the classroom and include applications to various real-world problems. Topics will include logic (e.g., constructing truth tables, critiquing logical arguments), graph theory (e.g., DNA sequencing, directed graphs and adjacency matrices), and matrix applications (e.g., Markov chains). The following NC mathematics standards may be addressed during this workshop:
- GT.1 Understand graph theory to model relationships and solve problems.
- GT.2 Apply graph theory to solve problems.
- L.1 Evaluate mathematical logic to model and solve problems.
- N.1 Apply operations with matrices and vectors
- N.2 Understand matrices to solve problems.
We will also:
- Engage in collaborative problem-solving tasks with colleagues
- Explore and share a variety of resources to teach topics covered in this workshop
- Collect lesson materials and tasks to implement in the classroom
- Engage in collaborative discussion and reflection with colleagues on pedagogy, challenges in teaching, and strategies to teach the topics covered.
Contact(s): Dr. Tamar Avineri (email@example.com)
Application Deadline: June 30, 2023